Piano from.....well you know where

This was a project that Casey and I did together awhile back. I had been wanting a piano so bad and been looking for a long time and finally I found this piano on ksl for free and figured...hey, why not? We pick it up and it is a piece of crap, I mean it is the ugliest thing and I knew it would take a lot of work but it was totally worth it! There were about 12 keys broken, it was out of tune, whoever had it before the people we got it from painted it white and then put some wallpaper over it! SOME WALLPAPER! With blue little flowers. Tacky! There was crayon drawn all over it, toys inside of it, I mean the list goes on. So, we take it home and first I called this guy who tunes and repairs pianos. I found out it is an old saloon style 1940's Gudmundsen piano (upright) which is awesome that I got it for free! It took him a couple hours to get all of the keys replaced and tune it but he got it all done! I was so happy that everything worked and that it sounded good. He did an amazing job and it didn't cost much at all which was a plus. Casey took it all apart. We stripped the paint off of it and the stuff we used had this orange scent, and I swear Casey and I were getting high off of it. It was some strong stuff! We had all of the windows open and we did it on our kitchen floor, lol! After that we sanded it and then tied the pieces up to our roof outside and while they hung there Casey used a spray gun and painted it with this high gloss black paint. It took forever to dry since it was oil based. Then we went inside to paint the actual piano...that was interesting. Because it was so heavy and we couldn't move it we just painted it inside. I held a tarp behind it wherever Casey went with the gun so it wouldn't get on the walls. We had a tarp underneath it as well. Pretty crazy if I do say so myself, but hey! It worked! After it dried we brought in the pieces and put it all back together and then moved it into our front room and viola! Perfecto! It turned out beautiful, and I love it. Casey did such a good job and I am so thankful for all of the hard work that he put into it. It was fun to do something like that together. So, for a couple months I took up piano lessons. I already know how to play by ear and I can pick up stuff pretty fast but I can't read music, so I wanted to learn. I stopped for a bit because the past few months have been crazy! But that is my goal, to actually learn how to play. Casey bought me a hymn book for my birthday last year. And we've had this piano since Christmas '08. Ha. Anyway, it's fun to look back and we made some fun memories doing it! :)


Comments

I absolutley love your piano, that is so awesome that it took less to fix up then buying one, those projects always seem to be the best and in the end most meaningful.!.That is something on my list of things to buy. Good luck and have so much fun with it. Piano is a passion of mine and it will give you a wonderful place to be.
becky said…
holy cow!!! I've never seen the before pictures of the piano! CRAZY!!! You guys did such a good job. Your piano looks beautiful now.